Thursday, April 12, 2007

This Stuff Is Just For Me

Okay, I got some stuff done last night after being pathetically lethargic and playing entirely too many video games for the last week and a half or two.

After washing two loads of dishes and making room on the kitchen counter, I went out and bought groceries on my own for the first time in a long, long time. Not only on my own but just for me. For the first time, I bought chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts - I have no personal preference but when S (the roommate who just moved in with her fiancee) moved in with us years ago we moved away from thighs because S has some pecularities, and one is that she doesn't like dark chicken meat.

But, I bought it last night because on a per-pound basis, thighs are way cheaper than breasts, and with how I use them in my cooking (cut up, cubed, marinated, etc), I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. At least that's the theory. We'll see if it's true after all of these years of chicken breasts and no thighs.

I took this opportunity to "experiment" in my shopping, as well - brands that S, who always went shopping with me, would skip over for whatever reason. A new brand of laundry detergent. Raspberry-smelling shaving gel.

I also pondered as I walked in silence, wondering how many days I could go without having to actually talk to anyone, now that I live alone. I remember once years ago when I was single before, not talking until mid-afternoon one day and then realizing at that point that my vocal chords were strained in some way and my voice was nothing more than a croak. It was a weird revelation at the time, for some reason.

I guess the difference now is that I own pets. Even if I don't talk to humans, I'll still talk to the furry creatures that greet me with such love.

That's not to say that there aren't humans that greet me with great love, but I'll get into that later.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home